Before we are able to install the Primary Site Server for SCCM there are some prerequisites which need to be performed on the server. Following on from our previous article on preparing Active Directory we now need to install some server roles and features as well as the Windows ADK.
Before we begin ensure you have the following:
- Fully patched Windows Server which will be the Primary Site Server
- Windows Server OS Installation Media (needed to install .Net 3.5 Framework)
- Windows ADK Installation Media (latest version available)
Install Server Roles and Features
Logon to the Site Server and open Server Manager, navigate to Manage and then choose Add Roles and Features.
On the Add Roles and Features window choose Role-based or Feature-based installation and then click the Next button.
Highlight the server shown in the list or the server we will be installing the roles and features to. Click Next and choose the following server role.
- Web Server (IIS)
On the “add features that are required” popup click on Add Features to accept the additional features to be installed and click Next.
Select the following features from the list:
- .Net Framework 3.5
- .Net Framework 4.6 (Should be already selected and shows 2 of 7 installed)
- Remote Differential Compression
- Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS)
Accept the additional required features for the Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS) by clicking Add Features and then click Next twice.
On the Role Services page for the Web Server Role (IIS) and choose the following services which are not already enabled:
- Expand Security and then enable Windows Authentication.
- Scroll down expand Application Development and choose the following: NET 3.5, ASP.NET 4.5, .NET Extensibility 3.5, .NET Extensibility 4.5. Accept any additional features which are required.
- Scroll down to Management Tools and select the following roles: IIS 6 WMI Compatibility and IIS Management Scripts and Tools.
Click on Next and then review the changes in the confirmation page.
You will need to specify an alternative source point for Windows to be able to install the .NET 3.5 roles. Windows Server will attempt to get the files from Windows Updates, however it is much quicker to provide the source files.
On the confirmation page select Specify an alternative source path and navigate to the installation source. Click Install to begin the installation.
Once installation is Successful click on Close to exit the Add Roles and Features window.
Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit
The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) is a set of tools which are used to deploy windows operating systems at a large scale deployment. The tools which are included in the ADK are WinPE, sysprep, DISM and other tools which assist with the performance, customisation and deployment of Windows Operating Systems.
For this step, you will need to have the Windows ADK downloaded and ready to be installed. The ADK can be downloaded from here.
To install, run the executable as an administrator. On the specify location page, choose default which is Install the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit – Windows 10 to this computer. Leave the installation path as the default shown.
On the Windows Kits Privacy page choose No under “send anonymous usage data to Microsoft for Windows 10 kits” and then click Next, then Accept on the licence agreement page.
Select the following features and deselect any others which may already be selected.
- Deployment Toolkit
- Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)
- User State Migration Tool (USMT)
- Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD)
- Configuration Designer
Click on Install to begin the download.
The required files will start downloading from the internet and then the installation will begin.
When finished you will be presented with the page as shown in the screenshot below saying Welcome to the Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit – Windows 10!. Click Close to exit the installer.